Editor’s note: The categorizations of programs and disciplines throughout are those used by U.S. News & World Report.
The 2023-24 rankings for U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Graduate Schools” are out. Where does the University of Utah rank?
Professional university programs in business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing, including specialties found in each college, receive a rank each year.
According to U.S. News & World Report, "Rankings in these areas are based on two types of data: expert opinion about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research and students."
Click here to learn more about the assessment process.
Click here for each program's specific methodology.
Below are the 2023-24 rankings for the U in those six professional university programs that are ranked annually.
- Best Business Schools: 48
- Entrepreneurship: 12
- Part-time MBA: 21
- Best Education Schools: 83
- Best Engineering Schools: 55
- Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering: 43
- Chemical Engineering: 66
- Civil Engineering: 64
- Computer Engineering: 47
- Electrical/Electronic/Communications Engineering: 58
- Materials Engineering: 65
- Mechanical Engineering: 71
- Nuclear Engineering: 25
- Best Law Schools: 32
- Business/Corporate Law: 54
- Clinical Training: 89
- Constitutional Law: 42
- Contracts/Commercial Law: 72
- Criminal Law: 25
- Environmental Law: 12
- Health Care Law: 25
- Intellectual Property Law: 31
- International Law: 35
- Tax Law: 68
- Trial Advocacy: 166
- Best Medical Schools: Research: 35
- Most Diverse Medical Schools: 119-130
- Most Graduates Practicing in Medically Underserved Areas: 28
- Most Graduates Practicing in Primary Care Fields: 98
- Most Graduates Practicing in Rural Areas: 16
- Best Medical Schools: Primary Care: 40
- Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice: 18
While the six major disciplines listed above are ranked annually, programs in the sciences, social sciences, humanities, health and many other fields are periodically ranked based on academic experts' ratings.
This year, there are new rankings based on academic reputation for master's programs in health care management, physician assistant/associate studies, rehabilitation counseling and veterinary medicine.
Additionally, there are new rankings for master of public health and public affairs; and Ph.D. rankings in the fields of biological sciences, chemistry, computer science, earth sciences, mathematics and physics, all based on academic reputation.
Below are the 2023-24 rankings for the U in the fields that are new or ranked periodically.
- Chemistry: 34
- Computer Science: 41
- Earth Sciences: 47
Health Care Management
- Health Care Management: 47
- Mathematics: 43
- Algebra/Number Theory/Algebraic Geometry: 19
- Physician Assistant: 8
- Physics: 67
- Best Public Affairs Programs: 85
- Public Health: 55
The doctoral programs in the arts and humanities, and statistics and biostatistics, as well as graduate programs in certain health-related fields, library sciences and the fine arts, are ranked periodically but were not updated in the 2023-24 rankings. Those rankings are still available here and are based on the previously administered academic reputation surveys.
Below are rankings from previous years for programs that were not updated in the 2023-24 rankings.
- Best Fine Arts Programs: 124
- Audiology: 29
- Clinical Psychology: 56
- Nursing-Midwifery: 11
- Occupational Therapy: 42
- Pharmacy: 14
- Physical Therapy: 13
- Social Work: 28
- Speech-Language Pathology: 32
- Biological Sciences: 37
Social Sciences and Humanities
- Economics: 88
- English: 69
- History: 81
- Political Science: 89
- Psychology: 80
- Sociology: 79