To our campus community,
We are deeply saddened by the tragic event that occurred on our campus last night. We want to make you aware of a vigil to honor Lauren McCluskey as well as campus resources available for those in need.
We will lead a vigil for Lauren on Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. on the steps of the Park Building. All are welcome to attend.
Handwritten notes for Lauren’s family are being accepted at the vigil and also at the Office of the Dean of Students, 270 Union Building.
For students looking for a place to gather together during this difficult time, the Crocker Science Center Reading Room 206 will be made available after the vigil.
This morning at a press conference, University Police Chief Dale Brophy reiterated that this was a targeted incident, not a random act of violence. You can watch the press conference here.
We will have an increased police presence on campus and have made more officers available for safety escort services. To request an escort, call dispatch at 801-585-COPS (2677). In an emergency, dial 911.
Additional campus safety resources are available at safeu.utah.edu.
There are a number of campus resources to support students, staff and faculty, with both group and individual counseling services available.
- University Counseling Center, 426 SSB, 801-581-6826
- Office of the Dean of Students, 270 Union Building, 801-581-7066
- Women’s Resource Center, 411 Union Building 801-581-8030
- Victim-Survivor Advocacy, Center for Student Wellness, 328 SSB, 801-581-7779
- University Neuropsychiatric Institute SafeUT
- More student services can be found at studentaffairs.utah.edu
- Employee Assistance Program, 801-587-9319 or 800-926-9619
- Resiliency Center, 5775 HSEB, 801-213-3403
This senseless act of violence is incomprehensible and we can only imagine the sorrow and grief that Lauren’s friends and family are experiencing and that we share. We encourage our campus community to come together during this time of mourning for this bright, accomplished student.
Ruth V. Watkins
Daniel A. Reed
Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Michael L. Good
Senior Vice President for Health Sciences
Director of Athletics