The Racist and Bias Incident Response Team was created in late 2019 to bring together perspectives and processes from across the university to develop a coordinated approach to responding to racist and bias incidents on campus. The committee membership capitalizes on the knowledge, reporting structures, programming and communication tools already in existence. Additionally, a new position was created in the fall of 2020 for a special assistant to the chief safety officer. This position manages the processes developed by the committee and works closely with the team as it continues to advise, support and assist in the implementation of university responses.
Committee membership includes representatives from the following offices:
- Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion
- University of Utah Police
- Facilities Management
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- University Counseling Center
- University Information Technology
- Housing & Residential Education
- Center for Student Wellness
- Academic Affairs
- University of Utah Health
- University of Utah Department of Public Safety
- University Marketing and Communications
Members also collaborate with the Anti-Racism Committee to advise the Steering Committee on incidents of racism and racial bias on campus and relevant countermeasures.
You can learn more about the Racist and Bias Incident Response Team here.