Construction will make travel in the Foothill area challenging this summer. UDOT continues repairing bridges in the Foothill Drive and Parleys Canyon area along I-80 and I-215. The construction work on these bridge decks and substructures requires lane closures and detours. This UDOT project will preserve infrastructure and optimize mobility along I-80, one of Utah’s most heavily traveled freeways.
Motorists need to plan ahead and find alternate routes. A designated detour route will be in place, but since many driving options exist, we encourage you to find a route that works well for your individual situation.
Construction will be suspended July 1-4 for the holiday weekend, allowing motorists to have fewer inconveniences while traveling. Construction activity will resume first thing on Wednesday, July 5, and begin with closing access to I-215 from Foothill Drive southbound.
The following closures will begin Wednesday, July 5, and continue through mid-September 2017.
FOOTHILL AREA CLOSURES BEGINNING IN JULY:
- Foothill Drive to southbound I-215
- Parleys Way eastbound to the Foothill Drive southbound ramp
- Parleys Way westbound (under Foothill bridge)
- I-80 eastbound to northbound Foothill Drive
- Ramp from I-80 westbound to I-215 westbound
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]On Thursday, June 22, the project team closed access to eastbound Parleys Way at Wilshire Drive. This long-term closure will also be in place through mid-September.The closure was originally scheduled for July 5, but was moved up. Motorists who frequent the northbound Foothill Drive ramp will be relieved to learn the purpose of the early closure is to facilitate the addition of a second northbound lane of traffic on the Foothill Drive exit. Having two northbound lanes open on Foothill Drive ramp will alleviate congestion and reduce delays. The second lane of traffic on northbound Foothill Drive ramp is expected to open July 1.
- Access to northbound Foothill Drive ramp from I-80 westbound has been reopened.
- Two travel lanes on northbound Foothill Drive ramp are now open.
- Access to Foothill Drive northbound via westbound I-80 re-opens in July, but eastbound access will remain closed.
- Foothill Drive southbound to I-80 in both directions.
- Access to northbound Foothill Drive from the I-215 will continue with only one travel lane open (current detour routes remain in place).
Use the Travelwise Rethink your Trip website (please note this tool doesn’t account for construction or traffic delays).
If you can, telework or temporarily adjust your start and stop work times. Other smart travel tips include carpooling or using transit. Employees in the Foothill/University of Utah area will have access to frequent buses and TRAX. A map of UTA transit access in this area can be found here.
You can use UDOT’s Traffic website or download the mobile Traffic App to be an informed motorist and stay current on road conditions, incidents and construction updates.
Sign up for weekly project updates. Send an email with “updates” in the subject line to email@example.com.
For questions or concerns call the hotline at 1-888-342-1555.