The staff in the Career & Professional Development Center stand in solidarity with the Black and African American community and the Black Lives Matter movement. We are committed to supporting Black and African American students and recent alumni in pursuing their next steps in the career journey.
Below is a list of career and community resources to support Black and African American students, alumni and professionals in the career journey. While this list is not exhaustive, we hope it will help with next steps in career development by gaining experience and finding community.
University of Utah resources
- Black History Month Events | Engage in a variety of events for Black History Month this February.
- Black Cultural Center | Using a Pan-African lens, the Black Cultural Center seeks to holistically enrich, support and advocate for faculty, staff and students through Black centered research, culturally affirming educational initiatives and service.
- Center for Ethnic Student Affairs (CESA) | CESA provides support to Students of Color and promotes an environment of acceptance that honors all forms of diversity.
- Student Success Advocates | Supporting students of all backgrounds and identities in creating success here at the U by working closely with students to learn about particular needs, aspirations and goals.
University of Utah groups and associations
- The African Student Association (TASA) | TASA’s mission is to serve the community, the minorities within the society and create awareness of the unique and beautiful African cultures within the different countries in the continent of Africa.
- Black Student Union (BSU) | The BSU’s mission to the foster a sense of community among all students of the African Diaspora at the U.
- Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) | Founded in 2009 to support the Black graduate and professional students of the U.
- Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA) | Dedicated to promoting the full inclusion of Black faculty, staff and students at the U.
- Muslim Students Association (MSA) | A group of Muslim students working for the sake of God, to achieve unity, justice and God’s pleasure.
Connect with Alumni and Employers
- Diversity in the Workplace Employer Panel Series | Join our Career and Professional Development Center for a panel series in which professionals of various backgrounds and identities share their workplace experiences, how to build networks and much more. View and register for our upcoming panels on February 24 & April 14 and look out for future panels in Handshake.
- University of Utah Black Alumni Community | Seeks to be a network to enrich, empower and engage Black graduates of the U that provides members with professional development opportunities, alumni engagement events and opportunities to connect with current Black faculty, staff and students in addition to the U Alumni network at large.
- Utah Business Directory Search | List of Utah companies that have a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, compiled by the Utah Black Chamber.
- Utah Black–Owned Businesses | List of Black-owned companies in Utah, compiled by Black Lives Matter Utah.
Online Job, Internship and Career Resources
- African American Careers | Online job board for job seekers and employers.
- African American Career World | Online job board for job seekers and employers.
- Black Career Network | Live job board that connects diverse talent with great opportunities.
- Black Jobs | African American jobs and careers resource that lists job openings with companies that support diversity and inclusion.
- Blackworld Career Center | Employment resources for African Americans and members of additional ethnic groups.
- Black Enterprise | Top list of Black-owned enterprises, including career and business advice.
- Black EOE Journal | Business and Career Magazine for African Americans.
- HBCU Career Center | The Historically Black College and University Career Center.
- National Urban League Job Network | Connecting African Americans and additional underserved urban residents to high quality jobs.
- The Black Perspective | Promotes diversity and inclusion in America’s employment and education.
- United Negro College Fund | Largest national private scholarship provider to minority group members that manages various scholarship, fellowship and internship programs.
Professional Groups and Associations
- Black Career Women’s Network (BCWN) | National career development network dedicated to fostering professional development of African American women.
- African American Organizations to Know | List of key organizations serving the African American community.
- Top Black Organizations and Non-Profits | List of national African American organizations serving the Black community.
- Top 21 African American Networking Groups | List of professional groups and associations that provide Black and African American individuals with networking support and career advice.
Local Community Resources
- Black Lives Matter Utah | An independent Utah Chapter of Black Lives Matter that aims to be a strong voice for the black population and additional marginalized communities in Utah.
- Utah Black Chamber | The premier organization serving the economic needs of Utah’s minority population, specifically the Black community.
- NAACP Salt Lake Branch | The local Salt Lake City branch of the NAACP civil rights organization working to ensure political, educational, social and economic equality for all persons.
For further career-related support, please feel free to schedule an appointment with a Career Coach (Undergraduate or Graduate) or use our Virtual Career Studio’s live chat to speak with a Career Ambassador, no appointment needed.
We are committed to supporting Black and African American students, both during and after their time at the University of Utah, as they move toward achieving their career goals.