[Saturday, April 19, 2019 | 6:18 p.m.] NEW DETAILS IN 4/13 ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT
The investigation into an attempted sexual assault on April 13 is ongoing. University police are pursuing leads in the case and ask that anyone who may have information that could help solve this crime call: 801-585-2677.
- Police are looking for a 1998-2000 dark green, extended-cab Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck with a large truck-bed toolbox.
- If you observe this vehicle, please note the plate number, if possible, and contact police immediately at 801-585-2677.
- Police are also interested in speaking with anyone who may have been in the area of 500 South by Rice-Eccles Stadium around 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 13. Again, please notify campus police at 801-585-2677.
Please take the following precautions, especially while police continue to pursue leads in this case:
- When walking across campus, travel in groups. If that is not possible and you plan to walk alone, please request a courtesy escort. This service is available 24/7 by calling 801-585-2677. It generally takes just seven minutes for an escort to arrive.
- When walking, be alert and aware of your surroundings. Put electronic devices away and keep headphone volume low so you can hear what is happening around you. Report suspicious activity to 801-585-2677.
- Stay on lighted pathways. If you notice dark areas or lights that are out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so the area can be addressed.
- When traveling, let someone know when and where you're going and when you will return.
Additionally, the university's Department of Public Safety continues to have increased numbers of police officers and security staff patrolling campus.
The safeu.utah.edu website has comprehensive information about how to report incidents, where to get support, training and other resources available at the U.
[Saturday, April 13, 2019 | 9:14 p.m.] UPDATE: POLICE SEEK PUBLIC HELP LOCATING SUSPECT AND VEHICLE
The University of Utah Department of Public Safety is seeking the public’s help in locating a suspect and the suspect's vehicle from an attempted sexual assault that occurred on the university campus just after midnight on Saturday, April 13. The sexual assault took place in the area of 500 South near Rice-Eccles Stadium.
The suspect is described as a white male with dark short hair, wearing jeans and a dark jacket.
The suspect's vehicle is described as a dark color (blue, black or purple) 1998 to 2002 Toyota Tacoma extended cab. The truck has a utility toolbox mounted in the bed of the truck that is also a dark color and a dark colored bug deflector on the front hood. The vehicle has aluminum alloy wheels and possibly a TRD (Toyota Racing Development) sticker on the truck bed.
Anyone with information about this vehicle or a suspect please call 801-585-COPS or 801-585-2677.
[Saturday, April 13, 2019 | 9:21 a.m.] UPDATE ON ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT
Campus police are following up on leads in the case.
- The reported incident happened at around 12:30 a.m. on 500 South near the south side of Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- The female victim was walking along 500 South when the attempted assault occurred.
- The victim is being provided support by a victim advocate.
- The suspect is possibly a white adult male with short dark hair, and was reported to be wearing jeans and a dark jacket.
- The suspect’s vehicle was dark colored and identified as possibly a blue extended-cab Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck.
- The suspect and vehicle were last seen westbound on 500 South driving away from campus.
The university’s Department of Public Safety has increased the number of police officers and security staff patrolling campus and who are available to provide courtesy escorts. Anyone who would like a courtesy escort should call 801-585-2677.
The campus community is also encouraged to visit the website safeu.utah.edu, which has comprehensive information about how to report incidents, where to get support and other resources and safety training available at the U.
Updates will be posted http://alert.utah.edu.
[Saturday, April 13, 2019 | 4:09 a.m.] UPDATED DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE
The vehicle in the attempted assault is a dark color, possibly blue, extra cab Toyota Tacoma. It has been confirmed that the vehicle has left campus heading westbound.
[Saturday, April 13, 2019 | 2:07 a.m.]U OF U ALERT: ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT
Attempted sexual assault at 12:50 a.m., in the Stadium parking lot. Suspect left eastbound in a truck on South Campus Drive. Police investigating.
If you have any helpful information, please contact University of Utah Campus Police by calling 801-585-2677 (801-585-COPS).
In the immediacy of this event:
- If you wish to use a courtesy escort anywhere on campus, 24-hours-a-day, call 801-585-2677 to arrange service.
- Be alert of your surroundings and immediately report any suspicious activities.
More information will be shared as it becomes available.
Updates will be posted at http://alert.utah.edu.
This message was sent as part of the University of Utah's commitment to provide timely warnings about serious or ongoing threats to the campus community.