By Ginger Cannon, active transportation manager, University of Utah
The University of Utah is committed to reducing carbon emissions, as well as improving local air quality by reducing impacts from university operations and daily commute trips. Consequently, using sustainable modes of transportation to, from and around campus is supported and encouraged.
The university prioritizes the safety of pedestrians and those riding wheeled devices such as bicycles, skateboards, rollerskates and scooters while traveling on university premises.
To ensure the safety of all on pathways and sidewalks, please remember the following:
- Every person riding any device must yield the right of way to pedestrians at all times. Report any unsafe behavior or conditions to Campus Police at 801-585-COPS.
- The campus speed limit for wheeled devices is 10 mph. Always wear a helmet, be aware of your surroundings and ride your device responsibly.
- Shared mobility devices like bike share and e-scooters are managed by private operators and are used to access the university campus. When renting any shared device, please remember:
- You are responsible for following the University Operating Regulations for Bicycles, Skateboard, Rollerskates and Scooters while on university premises.
- Do not park any device on a sidewalk in a position that blocks pedestrian paths. Always park e-scooters adjacent to an outdoor bicycle rack.
- No e-scooters are allowed to be ridden within any building or parking structure.
The university is working to further define regulations for shared mobility devices on university premises. Shared mobility is an evolving area of transportation services and regulations will change according to Utah state code, Salt Lake City ordinance and direction of university administration.
For emergencies or to report violations of university policy, call 801-585-COPS (2677).