Class of 2020 celebrations
- A virtual commencement is scheduled for April 30, 2020, at 6:30 p.m. on utah.edu/live.
- College and department convocations will take place in person on December 18 and 19, 2020, providing students the opportunity to receive the individual recognition they deserve. Graduates from Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 will be invited to participate.
Despite having to forego traditional spring commencement events due to the COVID-19 pandemic, university leaders are finalizing plans for two graduation celebrations for the Class of 2020—a “virtual” General Commencement on April 30 and traditional college convocations on Dec. 18 and 19, 2020.
In a survey emailed to all graduate candidates from Summer 2019, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters, the University of Utah Commencement Committee asked students to select whether they would participate in any of the following events:
- Class of 2020 reunion party during Homecoming Week (Oct. 10-17, 2020)
- December 2020 convocation
- May 2021 convocation celebrating the Class of 2020 and Class of 2021
A majority of respondents said they prefer a December 2020 convocation.
“We are grateful to all the graduate candidates who took the time to fill out this important survey,” said Lori McDonald, vice president for Student Affairs. “While none of the options are what any of us had envisioned, we hope these two graduation celebrations will provide our community members with the moments of recognition they deserve, and we thank everyone for their patience and flexibility as we navigate this public health crisis together.”
Morgan Aguilarcommunications specialist, University of Utah Communications