Equity and Diversity Awards
Interdisciplinary internship opportunity — Center for Renewable Energy
Beacons of Excellence Awards: Call for nominations
Staff scholarship applications being accepted for summer 2016
Join the UU Staff Council
6-week stress course for teens
EQUITY AND DIVERSITY AWARDS
Deadline extended: Thursday, March 17, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The Office for Equity and Diversity is now accepting nominations from University of Utah faculty, staff and students for the annual Equity and Diversity Awards. The awards are presented on the basis of excellence, leadership and commitment to enhance equity and diversity at the University of Utah. The award also seeks to recognize those who demonstrate commitment to creating and expanding opportunities for students, staff and/or faculty of historically underrepresented backgrounds to succeed at the University of Utah. One award will be given in each of three categories:
- Sustained contributions by University units, faculty or staff over many years
- Contributions in the last year by University units, faculty or staff
- Contributions by students
- Nominations must include the nomination form.
- Nominations must include at least two letters of support describing how the nominee has fostered leadership and commitment to enhance equity and diversity and expanded opportunities for students, staff and/or faculty. Self-nominations are welcome, but must come with letters of support from two other sources.
- The deadline for award nomination letters is Thursday, March 17, 2016.
- Submit nominations by to email@example.com.
The recognition luncheon will be held on Tuesday, April 19, 2016, from 12-1:30 p.m. in the Varsity Room at the Tower at Rice-Eccles Stadium (level six). Recipients must be present to accept the award.
See previous award recipients at diversity.utah.edu/awards-events. [/bs_col]
INTERDISCIPLINARY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY — CENTER FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY [bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Applications for an eight-week summer paid internship for students majoring in communication, or related academic programs, are now being accepted by the Department of Metallurgical Engineering. The position is full time and pays $12/hour.
By working with department staff members and scientists at the Roger and Dawn Crus Center for Renewable Energy, the student will have the opportunity to gain practical experience related to their college major.
Responsibilities will include:
- Building and updating the center’s website that focuses on educational opportunities and real-world applications of research being conducted at the center.
- Interviewing faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students in the center to produce wide-ranging editorial content about the center’s achievements.
- Writing and submitting press releases and feature articles to various media outlets to draw attention to, and promote the value of, specific research projects currently underway at the center. For example, improving air and water quality, development of inexpensive materials for point-of-use applications, novel methods of recycling scrap metal, etc.
- Coordinating community-education events to attract students of all ages, and Utah residents in general, to visit the center.
Application deadline is April 8, although earlier submissions will receive special consideration. Please send your résumé (two-page limit) to Krista Carlson (firstname.lastname@example.org), along with a short essay (no more than two double-spaced pages using 12-point type and one inch margins) explaining why you wish to be considered for position. Please send an email to Carlson if you have any questions.[/bs_col]
‘BEACONS OF EXCELLENCE’ AWARDS: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Deadline: Thursday, April 14, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Each year, the University of Utah’s Office of Undergraduate Studies and the Office of Student Affairs recognizes people, programs and projects committed to creating a transformative, undergraduate educational experience.
Beacons of Excellence awards celebrate “best practices” found across campus, including labs, student clubs, individuals, centers and more. Since the award was created in 2012, hundreds of nominations have been submitted by students, faculty, staff and community members.
Nominations are currently being accepted and are due by Thursday, April 14, at 5 p.m.
Recipients of the 2016 awards will be honored throughout the year in print and other media outlets on campus and in the community.
More information about the award and past honorees is available online. [/bs_col]
U STAFF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS BEING ACCEPTED FOR SUMMER 2016 SEMESTER
Applications due Friday, April 15, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″][/bs_col]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The University of Utah Staff Council is pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for staff development scholarships for the summer 2016 semester.
Each scholarship is worth up to $500 and can be used towards the employee’s tuition bill. Scholarships can be used towards professional trainings, symposiums, conferences or workshops and their associated expenses.
The committee will process the scholarship applications in the most fair and judicious manner to benefit the employee, according to the procedures directed by the University of Utah policy. UUSC is an equal opportunity provider.
Qualified applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently working at 75 percent or above Full Time Equivalency (FTE) position (30-40 hours per week).
- Maintained 75 percent or greater Full Time Equivalency (FTE) in a benefits eligible position for two consecutive years as of Feb. 29, 2016.
- Have not received a Staff Council Scholarship within the past two years.
*Current Staff Council Members are not eligible.
Applications are due by 5 p.m. on April 15, 2016, and incomplete applications will not be considered.[/bs_col]
JOIN THE UU STAFF COUNCIL
Applications due Friday, April 15, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The University of Utah Staff Council is currently looking for positive, service-minded individuals to join. The UU Staff Council is an organization established by University Policy 5-003 to make sure the interests of staff on campus are represented. The University of Utah Staff Council had several achievements and was involved in many events during the 2016-2017 AY.
- Awarded 13 scholarships at $500 each (summer, fall and spring)
- Members participated in the District and Staff Excellence Award selections
- Sponsored several events for staff including Shred Day where staff were able to shred personal documents and dispose personal eWaste at no charge, U-Nights at Real Salt Lake, Utah Grizzlies discount tickets and Salt Lake Bees discounted tickets
- Members actively represent staff interests on several committees across campus
- Members participated in the legislative process as advocates for staff of the U
- Staff Council continues to co-sponsorship Employee Appreciation Day
If you are interested in making a difference here at the U by participating on Staff Council, submit an application before 5 p.m., April 15, 2016. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For detailed information and qualifications for being a part of the University of Utah Staff Council, please visit: Staffcouncil.utah.edu.[/bs_col]
6-WEEK STRESS COURSE FOR TEENS[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]This six-week course is based on the Mindful Schools curriculum and teaches core mindfulness skills to stressed teens. Group leaders are school psychologists as well as certified yoga instructors and have completed mindfulness trainings, including the Mindful Schools curriculum course. The course is part of a research study sponsored by the University of Utah.
Please contact Emily at email@example.com or 760-420-6878 to sign up for the course.
If you are a professor or mental health professional, please note this course is appropriate for teens in middle or high school who are dealing with stress.[/bs_col]