By Hilerie Harris, assistant director, marketing and communications, University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid

Do you need student staffing in your office? There is work-study funding available through the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (UOSFA). Work-study is a need-based federal financial aid program that allows students to work part-time on campus while attending school.

“The Federal Work-Study program is a wonderful way for departments on campus to connect with students in positions that are related to their career interests,” UOSFA Executive Director Brenda Burke said.  “It is also a great way to establish mentor/mentee relationships between FWS students and campus employers.”

Departments interested in posting a work-study position must follow the requirements listed on the UOSFA website. If all listed criteria are met, the position can be posted through the University of Utah Division of Human Resources. Human Resources handles all aspects of hiring, not the UOSFA. A student’s work-study eligibility is confirmed by submitting a Job Referral Notice (JRN) to the UOSFA. A valid JRN must be submitted before a student begins working in the Federal Work-Study Program.

Visit the Employer Work-Study Handbook for more information about the program.

If you have any questions about the work-study program, contact the Federal Work-Study coordinator in the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Student Services Building, Room 105