GROCERY SHOPPING FOR SUCCESS
Grocery shopping can be many things. To some, it is an exciting adventure — discovering new foods, gathering ingredients for innovative recipes and restocking the pantry. For others, grocery shopping can be a hassle, tough on the budget or downright intimidating. If you fall into the second category, you are not alone. The goal of this article is to provide tips and tricks that you can implement to make your grocery shopping experience more enjoyable.
General Grocery Shopping Tips
- Focus on whole foods such as lean meats, fish, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds, dairy and produce. This can be done by shopping the perimeter of most grocery stores.
- When buying processed foods, look for products containing simple ingredients that you can identify as whole foods. For example, choose a tomato sauce that contains only tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and salt instead of one that also contains high fructose corn syrup.
Tips to Save Money
- Compare prices. Foods such as pasta, rice, beans, yogurt and cereal are numerous with regards to brands, variety and prices. You can save money by choosing the ones that are cheapest or stocking up an staples when they are on sale.
- Stock up on fruits and vegetables when they are in season — clean and freeze what you aren’t going to use right away. For more of an adventure, you can visit your local farmers market or subscribe to a CSA (community supported agriculture) for the freshest, most local produce.
- Only buy what you need — this will help prevent foods from going bad.
Tips to Save Time
- Use a shopping list. When you make your shopping list, you can group foods based on location in the store, thus streamlining your time at the grocery. As a bonus, using a shopping list can also prevent impulse buying.
- Keep a running list of meals you enjoy making along with their ingredients. When it comes time to make a shopping list, you will have a head start.
- Prep meals ahead of time. By preparing freezer meals or batch cooking staples like chicken, beans, vegetables and rice, weekday meals can be prepared in a fraction of the time. While this won’t necessarily save you time at the grocery store, it will open up more time during the week.[/bs_col][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″][bs_well size=”lg” ]
Read the full story here.
5 ESSENTIAL EXAMS FOR WOMEN
As we all know the best cure is prevention. For women there are five exams that are key to maintaining good health and detecting problems in their earliest stages. In most cases all five can be performed in less than three hours. So when you are planning a strategy to improve healthy habits, be sure these exams are included.
Click here to read the full article.
For more expert health news and information, visit healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed.[/bs_well][/bs_col]