Happy new year, and welcome to the Spring 2022 Semester. Students who attend the University of Utah are required to be fully vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and COVID-19 or indicate a medical, religious or personal exemption for one or both. Starting this semester, students will need to receive a booster to be compliant with the COVID-19 requirement.
Students who do not comply by either showing that they have received the vaccines or indicating an exemption will have a “hold” placed on their record that will prevent registration for future classes. Subsequent completion of the requirement with the vaccine or an exemption will remove the hold. Previously accepted COVID vaccine exemptions will be honored for the booster and do not need to be resubmitted. Those who are in the process of completing the requirement will not have a hold placed.
I appreciate every member of the University of Utah community who is actively taking precautions against the pandemic. We know the best way out of this global health crisis and back to the exceptional, face-to-face college experience the university provides is by following the most updated advice from our public health experts, including the CDC recommendation for COVID-19 booster doses. We want our students, faculty and staff to be able to interact fully in person across campus, and the safest and most effective way to get back to those experiences is through these proven strategies.
How do I comply with these requirements?
- Watch your university email account for detailed instructions from the Student Health Center.
- If you received all your vaccinations in Utah, the Student Health Center may be able to automatically confirm compliance with the requirements. If so, you will receive an email letting you know that you are fully compliant with the vaccination requirements.
- Otherwise, you will receive an email with instructions on how to provide your vaccination records or indicate a medical, religious, or personal exemption for one or both vaccine requirements.
Where can I get the vaccines to comply with these requirements?
- Schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center online by going to studenthealth.utah.edu and clicking on the patient portal link or calling 801-581-6431 for an appointment, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Note: The clinic is closed on Wednesdays, from 12-2 p.m.
- COVID-19 vaccination clinics also are occurring on campus. Please go to coronavirus.utah.edu and choose “Vaccine Information” for a list of vaccination opportunities.
- Use vaccines.gov to find a location for a COVID-19 vaccination clinic near you, then call or visit their website to make an appointment.
More detailed information is available here.