CHEMICAL SPILL CLEANUP PROCEDURES
In the event a chemical spill takes place while working at the University of Utah, follow the steps outlined.
- Attend to anyone who may have been contaminated or injured by the spill.
- Notify occupants in the immediate area about the spill.
- Evacuate all nonessential personnel from the spill area.
- If the spilled material is flammable, turn off all ignition and heat sources; including magnetic stirrers.
- Avoid breathing vapors of the spilled material. If medically qualified and trained as required in the Respiratory Protection Program, use a respirator if necessary. Otherwise, evacuate and contact OEHS at 801-581-6590 or call University Police at 801-585-2677 after 5 p.m.
- Ensure that the fume hood(s) is on. If in a non-clinical care building, open windows where possible to increase exhaust ventilation.
- Secure cleanup supplies. Ensure protective apparel is resistant to the spill material.
- Confine or contain the spill to a small area and clean up according to your Chemical Hygiene Plan.
If you have any questions, contact Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety at 801-581-6590.