[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″] By PEAK Health and Fitness
INEXPENSIVE SUMMER ACTIVITIES
With the changing of the seasons and warmer weather finally upon us, the days are growing longer, which means more hours to play outside. Living and working in such close proximity to the Wasatch Mountains, the Uinta Mountains, Moab and many national parks the options for getting outside and being active are endless. However, Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas also offer many options for getting out when taking a trip feels like a bit much. Here are some inexpensive ideas for summer fun with friends or family:
- Steiner Aquatic Center offers both an indoor and outdoor lap pool. Feel free to bring the family and gets some laps in, play in the designated playing area or lounge on the pool deck and get some sun.
- Liberty Park has a variety of activities for family fun and fitness. Among these options are a 1.3 mile walking loop, tennis courts, swimming pools, volleyball courts, basketball courts, and playgrounds. Additionally, Tracy Aviary is located on the south side of Liberty Park.
- Canyons in our own backyard are home to some of the best hiking, biking and rock climbing. Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood, Emigration, American Fork, Millcreek, Neffs and Rose are just a few examples of the canyons available for recreational activities.
- Bonneville Shoreline Trail has 100 miles of multi-use trail. Feel free to hike, bike or jog along this trail. Some parts of this trail are flat and smooth while other stretches of the trail are more rolling and technical.
- Free Movies in the Park are every Friday night at one of the Salt Lake City public parks. A free viewing of a (family friendly) movie begins at 9 p.m. Popcorn is also free, until it runs out – so make sure to arrive early. Visit the website for a full list of the movies and parks where they are being shown.
Another great resource is the University of Utah’s Campus Recreation Services; they offer gear rentals for almost any outdoor activity at a very reasonable price. Rent gear for water sports, biking, camping, rock climbing and even backyard games such as volleyball, softball/baseball, horseshoe and spike ball. Grab your gear, friends, family and go ahead and plan your next local summer adventures.[/bs_col][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_well size=”lg” ]
HEALTH BENEFITS OF THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET
Generally, when you think about a diet, you think about losing weight. But watching what you eat can help more than just your waistline. The Mediterranean Diet, in particular, has been scientifically proven to help improve your heart health! Check out our infographic that outlines the essential components of the Mediterranean Diet.
Read the full story here.
TOP 10 SPORTS TO KEEP YOUR KIDS HEALTHY THIS SUMMER
You may be wondering what you can do to not only keep your kids busy but healthy as well this summer. After all, you don’t want your kids to let their brains and their bodies waste away in front of the television all summer long. Here are 10 sports that will keep your kids healthy and happy all summer long.
Read the full article here.
For more expert health news and information, visit healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed.[/bs_well]