FITNESS ACTIVITY OF THE MONTH: CYCLING
Get out and ride your bike
Cycling is a low-impact exercise that people of all ages can do. Regular cycling can reduce the risk of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and stroke. It can also boost your mood and keep your weight under control.
Before you start
For most people, cycling is a safe and effective form of exercise. If you have any health concerns or an existing medical problem, see your general practitioner before you start.
Start slowly. If you have not been regularly physically active, start with an easy 20-30 minute ride and slowing increase the intensity or time of your workouts by 10 percent or so each week. If you haven’t cycled much before or you’re out of the habit of cycling, find yourself a traffic-free area to start off in, such as your local park.
- Wear a helmet
- Be seen and heard
- Check your bike
- Be alert and plan your route
- Always follow traffic laws
Featured Ride: Emigration Canyon – 15.2 miles round trip – intermediate difficulty
Emigration Canyon is one of the most accessible climbs from downtown Salt Lake City. The Emigration canyon climb is a moderate and relatively consistent grade of about 5 percent. This ride climbs 1,478 feet over 7.6 miles. This ride will challenge beginners and give seasoned riders a great workout.
Parking is available at the Rotary Glen Park (2850 E. Sunnyside Ave.), just past the zoo, on the south side of the road.
- Mile 2: Ruth’s Diner – busier traffic – watch for cars coming out of the parking lot. Once you’re past Ruth’s, traffic will thin out quite a bit.
- Miles 3-5: Several nice shady spots and views of the creek.
- At the Pinecrest turnoff: Stay right to begin the final climb to the summit.
- Mile 6: Slight increase in grade, first of two switch backs. Along this stretch you have long views down the length of Emigration Canyon, of Salt Lake City and beyond.
- Second switch back
- Six miles: The road tops out at Little Mountain Pass. Check out Millcreek Ridge to the south, Lookout Peak to the north and Upper Mountain Dell Reservoir below. Turn around here to enjoy the fast descent back to the city or continue east and extend your ride by heading up state highway 65 to Big Mountain Pass or descending to Salt Lake City through Parley’s Canyon on Interstate-80.
[bs_well size=”lg” ]
MELANOMA MONDAY: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
The first Monday in May every year is known as Melanoma Monday – a day to spread awareness of the deadliest form of skin cancer. The American Academy of Dermatology estimates that one person dies from melanoma every hour. Utah ranks number one in the nation for incidences of the deadly disease.
Read more here.
A BITTER PILL: FIGHTING ANTIBIOTIC OVERDOSE
Millions of prescriptions are written for antibiotics each year and a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows nearly a third of them are unwarranted. This has the CDC, along with the Pew Charitable Trusts, calling for medical providers to take action to reduce the number of antibiotics they prescribe.
Read the full story here.
For more expert health news and information, visit healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed.[/bs_well]