Did you know that your full-time employment with the University can count toward forgiveness of certain student loans? See the HR website at https://www.hr.utah.edu/benefits/LoanForgiveness.php for tools and additional information. Through October 31, the rules for obtaining forgiveness have been relaxed slightly.
Public service loan forgiveness requirements
- Make 120 qualifying payments or the equivalent
- Be employed by government, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, or other not-for-profit organization that provides a qualifying service
- Work full time (for PSLF, you’re generally considered to work full time if you meet your employer’s definition of full time or work at least 30 hours per week, whichever is greater)
- Have Direct Loans or consolidate into Direct Consolidation Loans
- Certify qualifying employment for the periods you seek credit toward PSLF