This month, University Information Technology (UIT) will begin the university-wide migration of Skype for Business chat and collaboration and voice/telephone accounts to Microsoft Teams. The upgrade is part of the effort to modernize the U’s communication technology and better meet the needs of those working, learning, and teaching on and off campus.
Additionally, UIT intends to retire Skype for Business, a step necessitated by Microsoft’s plans to end support for the application.
The tentative migration schedule:
- Friday, November 19, 2021: Inactive chat and collaboration accounts will be migrated from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams.
- Starting Monday, December 6, 2021: UIT Account Executives will begin contacting departments with Skype for Business voice accounts to schedule their migration to Microsoft Teams.
- Friday, December 10, 2021: Active chat and collaboration accounts will be migrated from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams.
- Starting late January 2022: Individuals with Skype for Business voice accounts will gradually be migrated to Microsoft Teams.
Note: University of Utah and University of Utah Health users will receive an email 24-48 hours prior to the migration of their accounts.
UIT encourages Skype for Business chat and collaboration users who have not already migrated to Microsoft Teams to do so as soon as possible. Please refer to this IT Knowledge Base article for instructions. After the upgrade, Skype for Business will prompt users to use Microsoft Teams for chat and collaboration.
UIT’s Account Executives will work directly with departments that depend on Skype for Business for voice services and conference rooms to migrate those systems to Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams features a number of collaboration tools, including instant messaging, video conferencing, file sharing, and voice calling. For more information about Microsoft Teams and the migration, as well as training videos, please refer to this IT Knowledge Base article.
For additional details or support, your local IT support staff may be able to assist, or you may contact your respective help desk:
- Main Campus UIT Help Desk: Call 801-581-4000, option 1, or submit a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org