In the event that a chemical spill takes place while working at the University of Utah, follow the steps outlined below.
- Attend to anyone who may have been contaminated or injured by the spill.
- Notify occupants in the immediate area about the spill.
- Evacuate all nonessential personnel from the spill area.
- If the spilled material is flammable, turn off all ignition and heat sources, including magnetic stirrers.
- Avoid breathing vapors of the spilled material. If medically qualified and trained as required in the Respiratory Protection Program, use a respirator if necessary. Otherwise, evacuate and contact Environmental Health and Safety at 801-581-6590 or call university police at 801-585-2677 after 5 p.m.
- Ensure that the fume hood(s) is/are on. If in a non-clinical care building, open windows where possible to increase exhaust ventilation.
- Secure cleanup supplies. Ensure protective apparel is resistant to the spilled material.
- Confine or contain the spill to a small area and clean up according to your Chemical Hygiene Plan.
EHS has spill cleanup kits available for purchase online.
If you have any questions, contact Environmental Health and Safety at 801-581-6590.