The 2022 Women’s Week Committee, The University of Utah Chapter of Utah Women in Higher Education Network (UWHEN), Presidential Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW), and Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (EDI) request nominations for the 21st annual Linda K. Amos Award for Distinguished Service to Women. This award recognizes an individual staff or faculty member who has selflessly given time and energy to improve the educational and/or working environment for women at the university.
The nominee should represent the ideals and actions of Linda K. Amos, for whom the award was named. Amos was the founding chair of the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, was a professor of nursing and served for many years as Dean of the College of Nursing and as Associate Vice President for Health Sciences. Throughout her career, she was the champion for improving the status and experience of women on campus.
Past recipients include Linda K. Amos (1999), Fern Gardner (2000), Victoria Judd (2001), JoAnn S. Lighty (2002), Kirtly Parker Jones (2003), M. Denise Dearing (2004), Carol Sansone (2005), Elizabeth Tashjian (2006), Kathryn Brooks (2007), Kathleen Digre (2008), Leigh Neumayer (2009), Debra Daniels (2010), Susan Olson (2011), Carrie Byington (2012), Joanne Yaffe (2013), Debra Willardson (2013), Cynthia Burrows (2014), Mary Anne Berzins (2015), Kim Hackford-Peer (2016), Harriet Hopf (2017), Carolyn Leavitt-Bussian (2018) and Yordanos “Jojo” Beyene (2019).
Nominations must be made by a member of the university community (faculty, staff or student) and should include:
- A letter of nomination outlining the candidate’s commitment to improving the educational and/or working environment for women at the University of Utah. Nominations should be focused on broad contributions and activities specific to the advancement of women at the University of Utah, rather than addressing women’s working environment or educational opportunities nationally or within a single unit at the University,
- A brief CV, resume or biography of the candidate,
- One or more additional letters from the university community supporting the candidate.
Nominees for the Award will be considered in light of their cumulative, positive advancement of women at the University of Utah. Indicators of excellence may include one or more of the following:
- Improving the educational environment for women at the department, college or university
- Improving the working environment for women at the department, college or university
- Establishing policies to include and value women’s contributions
- Advancing equity and representation of women
- Creating opportunities for women
- Expanding the influence of women at the department, college or university
Nominators are advised to inform the nominee of their nomination. Due to the pandemic, we did not solicit nominations in 2020 and 2021. Any previously nominated candidates must be nominated again and will be considered as new nominees.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, Jan. 21, 2022 at noon.
Please send nomination materials electronically using this Qualtrics form.