Help University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins welcome the new incoming class of students and their families to the University of Utah on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020. The deadline to apply to be the New Student Welcome speaker has been extended to April 17, 2020.
Each year, students and their families are invited to the New Student Welcome to hear from Watkins, a current student speaker, faculty and the marching band. This will be a great opportunity to welcome your peers as well as get them excited about their decision to attend the U.
Student speaker eligibility
- The student speaker must be an enthusiastic undergraduate student enrolled full time for the Fall 2020 Semester.
- The student speaker must be available one to two times per month from May through August to meet with the Office of Orientation & Transition for coaching and rehearsals.
- The student speech must be memorized and be accompanied by visuals.
- Applicants must submit either a one- to two-minute video or 250-500 word written statement introducing themselves and explaining why they should be the New Student Welcome speaker. Videos are highly encouraged. Feel free to explain what attracted you to the U and what you have enjoyed most about being a University of Utah student.
- In-person interviews for the student speaker will be held May 4-6, 2020.
- The deadline for applications is April 17, 2020.
Morgan Aguilarcommunications specialist, University of Utah Communications