The University of Utah Registrar’s Office will pause registration for the Fall 2020 Semester for three weeks—until July 1—to allow for adjustments to classroom scheduling as a result of physical distancing protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.
University Registrar Timothy Ebner emailed all students and academic advisors this week announcing the change.
“The changes are being made to preserve the in-person college experience and still comply with physical distancing protocols, which include reduced capacity in classrooms and laboratories,” Ebner said. “We are working very hard to provide the safest experience for all students.”
Registration will resume July 1.
Ebner has asked leaders at each college to identify courses that should be delivered in-person and which can be delivered online or in a hybrid (some in-person/some online) model. Special scheduling priority will be given to large, first-year, general education sections—including writing, mathematics and chemistry. Courses that are only offered every other year, but are required for graduation, also will have scheduling priority.
More than 18,000 students have already registered. For those who have not, the Registrar’s Office offered other guidelines for the break in registration:
- Students are encouraged to attend orientation sessions, meet with their academic advisors, review the Class Schedule, and use the Schedule Builder to do course planning, so they can submit their desired schedule quickly when registration re-opens in July.
- Students are discouraged from adding new courses to their “shopping carts” while registration is paused because those classes could change.
- After July 1, those who have already registered can check their schedules for conflicts. If there are no conflicts, no changes will be necessary.
- On July 1, continuing students who have not yet registered will be able to generate a conflict-free schedule, add it to their shopping cart, and finish enrolling.
- On July 6, first-year students will be able to confirm their schedules.
For more help using schedule builder, click on this guide.