Equity and Diversity Awards
Interdisciplinary internship opportunity — Center for Renewable Energy
Beacons of Excellence Awards: Call for nominations
Summer 2016 graduation application deadline extended
Campus Recreation hiring personal trainers
Mortar Board Senior Honors Society Calling juniors with 3.5 GPA or higher
EQUITY AND DIVERSITY AWARDS
Deadline extended: Thursday, March 17, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The Office for Equity and Diversity is now accepting nominations from University of Utah faculty, staff and students for the annual Equity and Diversity Awards. The awards are presented on the basis of excellence, leadership and commitment to enhance equity and diversity at the University of Utah. The award also seeks to recognize those who demonstrate commitment to creating and expanding opportunities for students, staff and/or faculty of historically underrepresented backgrounds to succeed at the University of Utah. One award will be given in each of three categories:
- Sustained contributions by University units, faculty or staff over many years
- Contributions in the last year by University units, faculty or staff
- Contributions by students
- Nominations must include the nomination form.
- Nominations must include at least two letters of support describing how the nominee has fostered leadership and commitment to enhance equity and diversity and expanded opportunities for students, staff and/or faculty. Self-nominations are welcome, but must come with letters of support from two other sources.
- The deadline for award nomination letters is Thursday, March 17, 2016.
- Submit nominations by to email@example.com.
The recognition luncheon will be held on Tuesday, April 19, 2016, from 12-1:30 p.m. in the Varsity Room at the Tower at Rice-Eccles Stadium (level six). Recipients must be present to accept the award.
See previous award recipients at diversity.utah.edu/awards-events. [/bs_col]
INTERDISCIPLINARY INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY — CENTER FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY [bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Applications for an eight-week summer paid internship for students majoring in communication, or related academic programs, are now being accepted by the Department of Metallurgical Engineering. The position is full time and pays $12/hour.
By working with department staff members and scientists at the Roger and Dawn Crus Center for Renewable Energy, the student will have the opportunity to gain practical experience related to their college major.
Responsibilities will include:
- Building and updating the center’s website that focuses on educational opportunities and real-world applications of research being conducted at the center.
- Interviewing faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students in the center to produce wide-ranging editorial content about the center’s achievements.
- Writing and submitting press releases and feature articles to various media outlets to draw attention to, and promote the value of, specific research projects currently underway at the center. For example, improving air and water quality, development of inexpensive materials for point-of-use applications, novel methods of recycling scrap metal, etc.
- Coordinating community-education events to attract students of all ages, and Utah residents in general, to visit the center.
Application deadline is April 13, although earlier submissions will receive special consideration. Please send your résumé (two-page limit) to Krista Carlson (firstname.lastname@example.org), along with a short essay (no more than two double-spaced pages using 12-point type and one inch margins) explaining why you wish to be considered for position. Please send an email to Carlson if you have any questions.[/bs_col]
‘BEACONS OF EXCELLENCE’ AWARDS: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Deadline: Thursday, April 14, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Each year, the University of Utah’s Office of Undergraduate Studies and the Office of Student Affairs recognizes people, programs and projects committed to creating a transformative, undergraduate educational experience.
Beacons of Excellence awards celebrate “best practices” found across campus, including labs, student clubs, individuals, centers and more. Since the award was created in 2012, hundreds of nominations have been submitted by students, faculty, staff and community members.
Nominations are currently being accepted and are due by Thursday, April 14, at 5 p.m.
Recipients of the 2016 awards will be honored throughout the year in print and other media outlets on campus and in the community.
More information about the award and past honorees is available online. [/bs_col]
ONLINE GRADUATION APPLICATIONS AND DEADLINE FOR SUMMER 2016 CANDIDATES EXTENDED
New deadline: April 1, 2016[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″][/bs_col]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The Registrar’s Office is pleased to announce that undergraduate students applying to graduate can now do so online if they apply by the deadline. The deadline for summer 2016 candidates has been extended from March 1 to April 1.
For more information see: Registrar.utah.edu/graduation/.[/bs_col]
GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″][/bs_col]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Graduates, order your customized Utah-themed graduation announcements from University Print & Mail Services and pick them up five days after your order date. To view designs online and get started, visit printandmail.utah.edu/gradcards.
Announcement photos will be taken for free at the Campus Store Grad Fair, which runs March 31 though April 2, 2016.[/bs_col]
CAMPUS RECREATION SERVICES IS HIRING PERSONAL TRAINERS[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Campus Recreation Services is hiring Personal Trainers to meet the demands of our patrons.
If you are interested in working with us in the Eccles Student Life Center, please send your resume to Cflatley@crs.utah.edu.
Qualifications: must be a current student, have PT Certification and have prior experience.[/bs_col]
MORTAR BOARD SENIOR HONORS SOCIETY — CALLING JUNIORS WITH 3.5 GPA AND HIGHER[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]All students of junior standing with a 3.5 GPA or higher and with demonstrable commitment to scholarship, leadership and service are invited to apply for membership in the Mortar Board Senior Honors Society.
Mortar Board is one of the nation (and university’s) oldest and most selective honors societies and is one of a select few that is listed on members’ transcripts. If selected, members perform service, sponsor university events and have access to a number of professional development tools.
The application is due Friday, March 25, 2016, and can be accessed here.[/bs_col]