- UDOT SUMMER CONSTRUCTION CHANGE:
NORTH CAMPUS DRIVE LANE CLOSURES: UDOT crews will reduce North Campus Drive to one eastbound lane from 7 p.m. tonight, Monday, May 14 to 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 15, while temporary asphalt is placed. Salt Lake City Police Department will be present to assist traffic.Following this work, all lanes will remain open until the traffic management plan is adjusted.
In response to major delays on North Campus Drive last week, the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) is postponing work on the road while UDOT collaborates with the university to revise the construction and traffic plan. In the meantime, UDOT is shifting its resources to begin asphalt removal and replacement on Mario Capecchi Drive between North Campus Drive and Foothill Drive.The work on Mario Capecchi Drive is planned to begin tomorrow, Tuesday, May 15. Single lane closures are scheduled to occur nightly. It is recommended that motorists leave early and plan for extra time — 15-minute delays can be expected.All lanes will remain open to accommodate traffic during the morning and afternoon commutes. One lane will remain open in each direction during night work, and 24/7 on the weekends. North Campus Drive Project background:
UDOT has been working closely with the University of Utah in planning for work to be done on North Campus Drive. Following the plan’s implementation last week, it was determined that changes were necessary to ensure each organization’s commitment to:
- Maintaining access to all hospitals and clinics for emergency crews, patients, and staff.
- Providing a safe work zone width for construction crews.
- Reducing the timeframe of the project to ensure the lowest possible traffic impact.
More information about plans for North Campus Drive will be provided as confirmed.
The two eastbound lanes on North Campus Drive (toward the hospital) and one westbound lane (away from the hospital) will remain open and fully operational for the time being.Updates from UDOT are also available by calling 1-888-556-0232 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Those updates will also be posted on Twitter @uofutraffic and online on @theU. Twitter users can receive text message updates on the project by texting “Follow @uofutraffic” to 40404. Visit the UDOT construction project page for more information.
- CAMPUS STORE SIDEWALK REPAIRS: Sidewalk repairs will begin May 14 on the east side of the Campus Store. Pedestrians should navigate around the affect areas. This project is expected to be complete June 18, 2018.
- STUDENT SERVICES DECK: The deck on the east side of the Student Services building is being replaced. Access through the northeast and East doors (main doors) will be closed. Please access this building from the Southeast or West side doors. The construction will last through the summer and reopen in time for fall semester.
- SOUTH MEDICAL DRIVE ROAD REPAVING: The road stretching between the School of Medicine and HCI Research South is being repaved now through the end of May. Access to this road will be closed for the duration on the project.
- EAST MEDICAL DRIVE ROAD CLOSURE: East Medical Drive will be closed from May 7-June 8, 2018, as Dominion Energy installs a new natural gas line that will serve many buildings on campus including HCI, U Hospital and various research buildings.
- STUDENT LIFE WAY CONSTRUCTION IMPACTS: Beginning May 5, temporary road construction along Student Life Way will occur through May 25. Traffic will be down to one lane with a flagger. Road access will be closed along Student Life Way to the lot east of Lassonde. Access to this parking lot will be available from the north parking lot of McCarthy Field.
- NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM PARKING LOT REPAVING: The Natural history museum parking lot is being repaved and is expected to be complete by May 12.
- HPER NORTH CONSTRUCTION: Construction surrounding HPER North has begun and will last throughout the summer 2018. The building is getting new exterior windows installed. Minor disruptions may occur.
- SIDEWALK IMPACTS NEAR HPER EAST AND HUNSTMAN BASKETBALL FACILITY: A fence has been put up around the sidewalk on the east side of Dumke Gynmastics, along HPER East and ending at Huntsman Basketball Facility for utility updates. This is the first phase of the project. In later phases, the fence will move towards Honors Housing and the U field. All access is closed along this route. Pedestrians should follow routes along the West side of HPER East for access. Phase 1 will end at the beginning of June 2018 and phase two will begin.
- LNCO Circulation Improvements: Beginning May 7, construction began to address inadequate pedestrian, bike and ADA access to the humanities part of campus. The circulation improvements aim to create a safe and pleasing pathway from student house to the east through the various academic and student facilities. Work will go throughout the summer and open mid-August 2018 in time for fall semester. The electric shuttle will not run during the summer semester due to this construction. See the impact to the right.
- HUNTSMAN CENTER EAST SIDEWALK DISRUPTION: The sidewalk east of the Huntsman Center will have minor disruptions for a sidewalk lighting upgrade. The project will go until the end of May 2018. This will not impact graduation and the area will be clean for commencement.
- FIELD ABOVE WASATCH DRIVE: The field above Wasatch Drive is being transformed into a parking lot. Expect noise and dust disturbances throughout the duration of the project. Expected completion date is Aug. 31, 2018.
- FIELD HOUSE CHILLER PLANT: Construction and closures occurring in and around the field house for capital improvements will be completed by mid-August 2018.
- CRCC, ART, & ARCH. HIGH TEMP: High temperature water line replacement is being done on the sidewalk between CRCC, and the Art/Architecture building. Work is expected to continue through mid to late summer 2018.
- BEH S HIGH-TEMPERATURE TRENCHING: Trench work has begun on the sidewalk between the Marriott Library and the BEH S building. The project is expected to be complete mid-summer 2018.
- WEST MEDICAL GARAGE CONSTRUCTION: The West Medical Garage (between the Moran Eye Center and the Ambulatory Care Complex construction) will only have access via the two widened ramps on the south side of the garage. The east side ramp will remain closed until ACC construction is completed in 2019.
- BEH S SEISMIC UPGRADE: Surrounding areas of the Social & Behavioral Science building will be fenced off for a seismic upgrade periodically throughout the duration of the project. This area will reopen June 2018.
- EXECUTIVE EDUCATION BUILDING: The construction of the Executive Education Building between Sorenson Arts & Education and the Business Building (SFEBB) is underway. Construction to complete in the summer of 2018 and will be ready for fall semester.
- GARDNER BUILDING CONSTRUCTION: Construction of the Carolyn and Kem Gardner Building is underway at the former site of OSH. Fencing will also remain posted around the field behind the humanities building. This project will continue through the summer of 2018.
See the construction impact map below.